Honda CR-V “Maintenance Due Soon” Wrench Light, Recommended Service
You’re driving along, and suddenly you see the lighted wrench appear and “Maintenance Due Soon” on your dash, what service is due? The lighted wrench is part of your Honda CR-V’s Maintenance Minder system, which notifies you when your Honda needs service so you have time to schedule a service appointment. Honda’s Maintenance Minder measures and records sensor readings at various points in your car to determine what is the optimal time to have it serviced. That is right; your Honda will tell you when it needs servicing and what is required.
Honda Maintenance Minder and Oil Life Percentage Display
Newer Honda vehicles determine how often you service your vehicle based on your driving conditions. The engine runs at higher temperatures when you are making short trips, frequent starts, and stops, or hilly terrain. Your oil life will deplete faster than driving under more normal conditions at lower RPMs.
Displaying the current oil life will depend on the CR-V trim that you have. First, turn your car on, or have it in the accessory mode. The CR-V LX has a Multi-Information display, press the (TRIP) knob (see illustration above) on the top right of the dashboard repeatedly until the engine oil life appears on the information display.
The Honda CR-V EX, EX-L, and Touring models with their Driver Information Interface require you to press the information button several times until the wrench is displayed then press ENTER to go to the Maintenance Minder screen.
- OIL LIFE 15% – The maintenance minder indicator wrench turns on. Along with the wrench indicator, a maintenance code will appear on your dash, informing you of which items need servicing.
- OIL LIFE 5% – Service is due now.
- OIL LIFE 0% – Service is overdue, and it will show the number of miles overdue with a negative sign in front of it. This number will flash until your CR-V has been serviced.
What Do The Honda CR-V Maintenance Minder Codes Mean
Let’s break down the maintenance minder codes to understand what your Honda is really trying to tell you. Your vehicle also uses codes to help you decipher what’s required for service. These codes consist of the main code by itself or the main subcode. You’ll find more maintenance information in the 2019 Honda CR-V Owner’s Manual, maintenance section starting on page 553. Codes differ based on the Honda model you have, so please refer to the Owners Manual for your vehicle.
Honda CR-V Maintenance Minder Main Items
|CODE||MAINTENANCE MAIN ITEMS|
|A||Replace engine oil*1|
|B||Replace engine oil*1 & oil filter
|Inspect front & rear brakes|
|Inspect these items:
Tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
Brake hoses and lines (including ABS/VSA)
All fluid levels and condition of fluids
Fuel lines and connections
Honda CR-V Maintenance Minder Sub Items
|CODE||MAINTENANCE SUB ITEMS|
|1||Rotate tires, and check tire inflation and condition|
|2||Replace air cleaner element*2
Replace dust and pollen filter*4
Inspect drive belt
|3||Replace M/T fluid
Replace CVT fluid
Replace A/T fluid
|4||Replace spark plugs
Inspect valve clearance (cold)
|5||Replace engine coolant|
|6||Replace rear differential fluid|
|7||Replace brake fluid*5|
If you have any questions or would like to schedule a service appointment, don’t hesitate to contact us at Patty Peck Honda today. We are conveniently located in Ridgeland, near Madison and Brandon, MS.
*1 If a Maintenance Minder indicator does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.
*2 If you drive in dusty conditions, replace the air cleaner element every 15,000miles (24,000km).
*3 If you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and from diesel-powered vehicles, replace the dust and pollen filter every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
*4 Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds
or trailer towing results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed every 25,000 miles (40,000km).
*5: If a Maintenance Minder Indicator does not appear more than 36 months after the display for item 7 is reset, change the brake fluid every 3 years.
How to Auto Start a Honda CR-V Using the CR-V Remote Start System
Remote Engine Start (EX and above):
- The CR-V remote start is very easy and works when the remote is within about 40 yards of the vehicle.
- Just push the LOCK button on the remote and then push and hold the ENGINE START button for at least a second – the starter will fire up the engine, the CR-V will flash the turn signals 6 times and the automatic climate control system will begin conditioning the interior to a temperature of 72 F.
- As Ted shows you in the video when you reach the CR-V with the remote in your possession, you can enter the vehicle as normal – the engine will keep running.
- To start driving, step on the brake pedal and push the ENGINE START button once; the instruments will illuminate and you’ll be ready to go.
CR-V Remote Start and Stop Tips for Success
- Make sure the vehicle is in a safe location when using the remote engine start, a well-ventilated area, and away from any flammable materials.
- Timing is everything, press the Lock button, then press and hold the Engine button for 5 seconds to start the engine.
- The engine will stop if it has been running for more than 10 minutes, or if any door is opened without using the remote or smart entry.
- The engine runs for up to 10 minutes, but if you want to extend the run time for another 10 minutes, repeat the procedure during the initial 10 minutes.
- While the engine is running, the climate control system adjusts the cabin temperature, the security system remains on, and lights and accessories remain off.
- If you change your mind and want to stop the engine, press and hold the Engine button.
More from Patty Peck Honda
Shopping for a compact crossover SUV that can add convenience, comfort, and style to your Madison commute? The Honda HR-V dimensions will allow everyone to stretch out and enjoy the ride while offering all the cargo space you need. Learn more about the 2022 Honda HR-V cargo space, seating, and more in this guide…
The incredibly versatile 2022 Honda Ridgeline pickup truck, which is now available to buy or lease at our Patty Peck Honda dealership serving Jackson, Ridgeland, Madison, Flowood, and Brandon area auto shoppers, is offered in four different trim levels for this model year including the Sport, the RTL, the RTL-E, and finally, the Black Edition….
How much can a Honda CR-V tow? The 2022 Honda CR-V towing capacity is 1,500 poundswhen properly equipped. That’s pretty impressive for a compact SUV. If you’re planning on hauling a small travel trailer or boat on your next adventure outside Brandon, then you’ll want to take a look at all that the Honda CR-V…