What If I Can’t Make My Car Payments?
No one wants to be in this situation, but sometimes life throws you curveballs where you find yourself thinking, “I can’t make my car payments – what are my options?” There are steps you can take if you can no longer afford your monthly payment. Learn more from the experts at the Patty Peck Honda finance center.
What to Do if You Can’t Make Your Car Payments
Depending on your situation, there are several options if you can’t make your car payments:
- Speak With The Lender: Talk to your lender and let them know your situation. They may be able to modify your loan for a period of time while you work out your finances.
- Refinance Your Loan: If you have been making consistent payments and have a good credit score, you might be able to refinance your auto loan. This can lower payments by either extending your auto loan or lowering your interest rate. Check with your original lender to see if they offer refinancing. If not, you may have to go elsewhere.
- Sell Your Car: Depending on the amount you owe and the estimated value of your vehicle, you may be able to sell your vehicle and make enough to pay off your loan.
- Trade In Your Vehicle: While you may not get as much as you would from a private seller, trading in your vehicle is another way drivers in Brandon lower their payments. Use our online tool to estimate your trade-in value.
- Have Someone Assume Your Loan: This isn’t an option with all lenders, but some allow for a third party to take over loan payments for you. If you have a low-interest loan, you might find a potential buyer who would be willing to do this.
- Repossession: Letting your vehicle be repossessed will negatively impact your credit score so this isn’t an ideal solution. You also may end up being charged the cost of repossessing and selling the vehicle on top of your loan balance.
- Bankruptcy: In some cases, bankruptcy can wipe out the balance of a repossession, or stop your can from being repossessed completely.
Find Financial Advice at Patty Peck Honda
If you need additional advice or help with your auto loan, contact the finance center at Patty Peck Honda near Madison. Our financial specialists will walk you through your options, including providing advice on how to trade in a financed car, and make recommendations to fit your situation.
More From Patty Peck Honda
In the market for a used Honda car, SUV, or truck? Are there any specific features or characteristics that you’re searching for when shopping for it? What about the highly-coveted Apple CarPlay™ functionality? That’s right – Apple CarPlay™ – the technology that not only provides you with hands-free access to the digital world but will…
The 2020 Honda Accord is a strong contender for any Jackson-area driver looking for a sophisticated and well-equipped sedan. Powerful, comfortable, and loaded with all of the high tech features to keep you connected, entertained, and safe, the Accord is an ideal choice to upgrade your Brandon driving experience. Learn about the Accord interior features…
With the 2020 Honda Civic, Jackson drivers can choose between sedan, coupe, and hatchback body styles. Once you decide which best suits your needs, you’ll have the opportunity to pick the Civic color that best reflects your personality. As you’ll see below, the exterior Civic color options vary according to the body type you choose:…